The first few years in your new home feel like heaven. Everything looks so sleek and shiny, but after some time you start to discover some quirks. Most are nothing to fret about, but there are some signs that pop up that shouldn't be overlooked, such as electrical glitches in the home. Not every electrical problem is dire, but as your home electrical system may pose a high risk of fire and severe damage to life and properties, you should be cautious.
Circuit Breaker Issues
The job of the circuit breaker is to cut off the flow of electricity to a part of the home when the circuit gets overloaded. It’s a crucial part of maintaining the safety of your home’s electrical system. This level of importance makes it highly critical that you call for a professional electrician if it seems like the panel is faulty. In a situation where the circuits in the breaker panel fail to reset or continuously trip after being reset, then it’s a clear sign that something is not right with your home electrical system: don't hesitate to call for a repair.
This is usually a sign that there might be a short circuit in your home. However, if only a single light is flickering, it might be an issue with the bulb. Unplug it and check if it will flicker when plugged into another outlet. If you notice more than one light or all the lights are flickering, call an electrician to inspect the system. Lights flickering shouldn't be neglected because short circuits in the walls may spark house fires. Be sure to have your wiring inspected often and fixed, should any issues arise.
This one is pretty obvious, but many homeowners assume the smell is related to something else. Slices of bread trapped in the toaster or a dish left in the oven for too long can cause a burning smell. However, if you still perceive the smell when you are not cooking or using any kitchen appliances, your electrical system may be faulty. Burning smells can also be a result of loose connections or current flowing through deteriorating plugs, switches and cords. Call an electrician whenever you catch a burning smell in your home that's not related to cooked or cooking food.
Whenever you see any spark, catch a non-food related burning smell or see your lights flickering, contact an electrician immediately. Don’t have an electrician you trust? Your real estate professional will have connections to the best professionals in your area. Use them as your top resource.